Fundamentals of HVAC & Electricity (Virtual)
Cochrane Tech Services is pleased to offer special discounted pricing during the COVID-19 pandemic for all instructor-led virtual training classes. It is our goal to give BAS industry professionals enhanced opportunities to learn new skills and further their education during this time.
This class is designed to explain components of heating and air conditioning (HVAC) systems and mechanical equipment. Students should expect to learn about the history of HVAC and how systems have evolved over time. The class will review the types of mechanical equipment found in buildings including boilers, chillers, cooling towers, air handling units (AHUs), variable air volume (VAV) systems, dampers, and an intro to controls. Electricity basics and how it is used and controlled by equipment including motors, motor controls, switches, and relays. The class will discuss how building automation systems (BAS) are used in today's buildings to control the HVAC, mechanical, and electrical equipment. Live lectures utilizing PowerPoint and demonstrations will allow the instructor-led virtual learning experience to be as close to the in-person experience as possible.
- Types of heat and the different ways that heat is transferred
- ASHRAE standards and units
- Mechanical equipment in buildings
- Applications for mechanical equipment
- Dampers and valves. Explaining the different types and their applications
- All basic points of electricity, testing different components, taking voltage readings, going over laws and formulas, and practice labs
- Motors, motor controls, and troubleshooting
- Basics of Building Automation Systems (BAS)
Class Logistics Notes:
Please note that the training will still take place from 8:00-5:00 pm Monday through Wednesday. Students should be in a distraction free environment to make sure that they are able to focus during the session. We encourage the students to occasionally use their webcam if possible to allow for better interaction and communication in the virtual environment (though this is not a requirement!). Please do not hesitate to ask questions during the class! This can be done using the Chat or Q&A Panels in the training software or verbally.
Target Audience: Students looking for an introductory level course to HVAC concepts and mechanical equipment should start with this course. Basic HVAC knowledge will prepare students for additional courses including Niagara Operations and Niagara 4 Certification
- Students will be required to have a Windows 7/8/10 based laptop or computer with Google Chrome.
- Students will be required to have an internet connection in order to access the class.